Friday, February 18, 2011

Awkward Silences

Lately I've become acutely aware of the awkward silences that have followed me around since John's accident.  It seems like every new person I meet has been informed of my situation and there is a moment after our formal introduction where we are met with that awkward silence.  It is the elephant in the room.  The moment when people try to come up with something to say that fits the moment...but what does?  What can you say, really? "So...how about your husband's passing? I heard all about your situation and damn it must suck being so young and having a new baby on top of that!"

Maybe it's because so many months have gone by and they fear they will bring back the feelings of sadness? Or maybe they just cannot comprehend how such an unfortunate situation could ever happen?  Either way, the elephant is certainly there, and he is a big menace lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment